My siblings and I grew up in Dubai, we loved it and it is still what we think of when we say home…I returned there for 3 months after a period of 25 years abroad, before moving to Winnipeg. My brother after living in New Zealand for 3 years is back in Kuwait, my sister still lives in Dubai.
So, my brother recently came up with his You know you are in ME when… hilarious, here is an amalgam of both our observations. Enjoy, feel free to add your own.
1. Asr (prayer) is prayed standing between a cleaner and a teenager with a Rolex, both better dressed than you.
2. The jacket you wore ONCE in 3 years in South Island, NZ is nor de rigueur for dealing with cranked up workplace ACs
3. The muscle car you’re admiring turns out to be mommy’s going-to-grocery vehicle.
4. The “Welcome to” lunch starts promptly at 12 and countless mezze later you’re still eating at 3:30.
5. Cars speed up whenever you stand meaningfully at the sidewalk.
6. Actually there are no sidewalks.
7. Flip Flops cost more than your outfit and handbag put together.
8. Umbrellas are used to protect you from the sun, not rain.
9. You don’t know where the cleaning things are in your own home, – that’s the maid’s job.
10. You love telling people that the vending machine that gives GOLD is around the corner.
11. You speak 3 languages simultaneously and the other person understands.
12. The ‘fastest’, ‘tallest’, in fact and ‘_est’ doesn’t faze you one bit.
13. You pay to go skiing in a mall.
Finally, you know you are in the ME when you give directions by land marks instead of by road names – and I still do it…